What Is Tone of Voice?
Tone of voice is how you communicate your brand’s values, ideas and personality. Combined with visual identity, it’s often one of the first ways people encounter your brand – so it’s crucial that you make the right impression.
Why Should You Have a Tone of Voice?
A compelling tone of voice will differentiate your business from competitors, engage your target market, and personalize your brand. It’s a great way to build authority, sharpen focus, and help create impactful messaging. From a financial point of view, using a tone of voice guide reduces the need for endless approval rounds and it facilitates swifter editing.
Despite these benefits, an alarming amount of complacency surrounds tone of voice. We regularly meet clients that:
- don’t have a set of guidelines at all, often because they think they don’t need them
- have outdated guidelines that are overly complicated or are irrelevant
- have guidelines which are ignored.
Does any of this sound familiar? If so, don’t despair, we can help. Aligning the tone of your communications with what your brand stands for is our speciality. Contact us so we can learn about your unique situation and to discuss different ways forward.
Many people presume that tone of voice comes naturally. And it may well do, if you have a small marketing team creating content, who all have a deep understanding of the brand, think similarly and will never leave your business.
If this isn’t your situation, you need to consider using a tone of voice guide.
While the explosion in online content marketing across new social channels has made using a tone of voice all the more important in recent years, the abundance of these new channels makes implementing a tone of voice overwhelming for many businesses, too.
It doesn’t need to be if you partner with us.
How Is Tone of Voice Established or Refined?
We’ll start by listening. We’ll ask you to tell us about your company and what it is you do. Together we’ll take a look at your brand’s existing content. We’ll look at what you are doing good and what could be improved. We’ll examine what language you currently use to convey brand messages and try to ascertain whether it actually feels like your brand.
We’ll check to see if you are using the right keywords to engage your audience. Along the way, maybe we’ll uncover some inconsistencies or spelling and grammar mistakes. We can fix all of this quickly and efficiently.
Why Nordic Morning?
In the end we’ll present you with a set of guidelines and tools that will sharpen your brand and content across all channels.
Our tone of voice guide will:
- help ensure you communicate in a way that engages your target audience
- promote consistent messaging across different teams, channels and formats
- strengthen and differentiate your brand from the competition
- make working with new colleagues, agencies and consultants easier and more efficient by enabling them to produce on-brand content
- reduce operating expenses (opex) by streamlining the production and review process.